Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cream and Sugar?


I have been working on making some cream and sugar sets. I have been meaning to make some for a while but never was really that inspired to start. I have been contemplating how to go about this set for a while and tried out a few ideas. I started with the idea that the two pots should start from the same body shape and be the same height. From looking at cream and sugar sets that I admired I realized that the most successful sets were just a mini version of larger pots that that potter makes. So, naturally, I shrunk down my new pitcher form as well as a jar style I like making. I feel that this set is pretty successful but definitely has potential to get better. I am trying to move towards more simple surface decoration to aid the glazing process. Since starting to work with cone 6 I have come to learn to plan further ahead in the making process how the pot will eventually be glazed. I am still working out the kinks with some of my cone 6 glazes but have some promising recipes to go off of.This vase is sort of a twist off of the pitchers I have been making. It is made in the same way but with a narrower neck. I was originally inspired for this form by some of mark Hewitt's larger bottles but it has ended up very similar to Tom's Tang vases. I will have to work to make it my own but I like where the form is heading.

1 comment:

  1. Your process is really involved. I wish I produced work at the rate you do. Your going places, keep it up man. Congrats on your scholastic winnings, you raked in a serious amount of cash.

    ReplyDelete