Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reduction kiln results

(bottle with shino stripes and iron on lip)
(bottle with very thin shino over black stain)
(bottle with shino stripes and iron lip)
(small jar with shino over black stain)

I finally got my kiln finished and fired it off. I got it up to cone 10 pretty much all around. Some parts were probably at about 11 while others were about 9.5. This difference does not really bother me because I will use the hotter areas for shinos and more refractory glazes, and I will use the cooler areas for less refractory glazes. The difference in temperature, I think, is due to the fact that the kiln only has one burner. I think that I could get the kiln much more even if I use two burner; however, for the the size of the kiln two burners seems like a bit of overkill. The kiln, as fired it, was a bit of a test of the design. The kiln fired well and now I am taking it down to make it slightly larger as well as more durable.
I don't know how good of a job I could do explaining the design of the kiln but I am going to take pictures as I rebuild it. I am waiting for a couple more boxes of bricks to arrive and then I will begin taking it down and rebuilding it.