Monday, April 26, 2010

Teapots


I have been working on a new teapot design. After a long struggle to make a mold I was finally able to make and use a press mold for teapot spouts. For a long time I was strongly opposed to using molds of any type to make my pots. After some investigation I realized that using a mold was the way to construct this type of spout that made the most sense for me. After actually making the mold and the spouts from the mold I have gained a lot more respect for this process.
I also tried to translate the Simon Levin handle into a larger teapot handle. I feel that on my third attempt (the teapot pictured at the top of the page) I succeeded. I had to alter my process a little in order to accommodate the larger scale of the handle but over all I am happy with the results. In my three pot series I used the rope texture I have been working with as well as the green scrubby pad texture. All of these textures are very nice in the wood kiln, which is how I plan to fire these. I am very excited to see how these turn out and also how the spouts pour.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment